If you have ever got an error message connecting your headphones to your PS4, you might be wondering: “Can you connect Bluetooth headphones to PS4?” Let us find out.
Whether you want to be wholly immersed in your action or video game, or you’re a late-night gamer who doesn’t want to disturb others, you would want to use Bluetooth headphones with your PS4.
In fact, these days there are quite a few online games that are designed to be played using headphones. You will miss out on a lot of the functionality if you don’t use headphones while playing these games.
But if you have ever tried to connect your Bluetooth headphones to your PS4, you might have got a message that said PS4 does not support Bluetooth audio devices.
That leaves many users asking the question: “Can you connect Bluetooth Headphones to a PS4?” The answer is complicated. If you are not using a compatible Bluetooth device, you will have to do a few technical gymnastics to get your headphones working.
In our write-up below, we will describe four different methods for connecting both supported and non-supported Bluetooth headphones to a PS4. We will also discuss
- Can you use Bluetooth headphones with PS4?
- Can you connect wired headphones to PS4?
- Where to connect headphones on PS4?
- Can I connect AirPods or Beats to PS4?
- What headphones connect to PS4?
Why Don’t Many Bluetooth Headphones Connect to PS4?
Shortly after PS4’s launch, Sony said that the console doesn’t support Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP). A2DP is a Bluetooth connectivity standard that defines the audio quality of streaming between devices using Bluetooth.
The reason is actually quite simple: with lags of more than 100 to 200ms, there was a lot of uproar over poor gaming experience, and Sony decided not to open that Pandora’s box, leaving many users wondering, “will bluetooth headphones work with PS4?” and if not, “what headphones connect to PS4?”
Thankfully, there are workarounds to this problem, and we will mention four of them below.
You might like to read: How Much Does It Cost To Make Apple Headphones
How Do I Pair My Compatible Bluetooth Headphones With My PS4?
Before connecting, make sure Sony supports your headphones. If not, check the headset’s package to see if the device is compatible with Sony Playstation.
Once you are sure that your device is compatible, follow these steps:
- Turn on your Bluetooth headphones and make them visible (in pairing mode). If your headphones are new, you might want to consult the user manual to check how this can be done.
- Choose Settings (Look at the top of the home menu to find the Settings option)
- Select Devices > Bluetooth Devices.
- PS4 will show you a list of nearby compatible devices which are Bluetooth visible
- Select your device, and it will pair automatically.
How Do I Pair My Non-Compatible Bluetooth Headphones With My PS4?
Below, we will describe three options in case you find that your device is not visible in the compatible devices menu, which we described in the previous method.
Option 1: Connect Using PS4 Controller
- Connect your headphones to the PS4 controller using a male-to-male audio cable which also has a built-in mic. Switch it on.
- Go to PS4 home and select Settings.
- Go to Devices> Bluetooth Devices.
- Choose your headset in the device list shown.
- Next, go to Devices> Audio Devices> Output Device.
- From the options given, choose Controller Connected Headset.
- Next, choose that all output should go to the headphones option, and you are done.
You might like to read: How Do Headphones Act As Antenna
Option 2: Connect Using a USB Bluetooth Adaptor To Your PS4
Sometimes, you may not be able to connect your headphones directly to the PS4 or the controller using the Bluetooth option. In this case, you can opt for a USB dongle that acts as a Bluetooth adaptor. You can find these for cheap at any of the online or retail electronics shops. Then follow the below steps:
- First, put in your USB dongle into the USB port of the PS4
- Go to the Settings option on Home.
- Select Devices> Audio Devices> Output Device
- Choose your USB Headset.
- Like before, opt for all audio to go to the headset.
Option 3: Connect Using PS4 Remote Play
PS4 Remote Play is an app that will give you all the functionality of your PS4 right on your smartphone. All you need is a strong Wi-Fi connection. This effectively turns your phone into a controller, and the phone’s mic becomes the mic for the PS4 as well.
- You can get the app from PlayStore or Apple’s Store.
- Next, go to the home menu on PS4 and choose Settings>Enable Remote Play and click on the checkbox next to it.
- Next, go to Add device> Code. The PS4 will show you an eight-digit pairing code on your screen.
- Open the app on your phone and enter this eight-digit code to connect your phone.
- Connect your Bluetooth headphones to your phone and enjoy!
Note: This method will have a bit of a lag if your internet connection is not strong enough.
Does the PS4 support wired headphones?
Yes! On the PS4, you can use ordinary wired headphones. For headphone jacks, the PS4 uses the Cellular Telephone and Internet Associations (CTIA) standard, a newer, less widely used standard, so check for cable compatibility before you buy one.
Where to connect headphones on PS4?
- Plugin your headphones 3.4mm hack into the PS4 controller.
- Grab the big PS button on the controller and keep it pressed for a bit to open the Home Menu
- Go to Sound>Devices>Settings and adjust volume and other settings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to connect Bluetooth headphones to a PS4?
While PS4 officially only allows a select set of Bluetooth headphones to connect, you can always use the three methods that we described earlier.
Can I connect AirPods to PS4?
Unfortunately, AirPods are not compatible with the PS4. To connect AirPods to the console, you’ll need a Bluetooth adapter. You can connect your AirPods like many other non-compatible devices using the method we described in Option 2
Is it possible to link Beats to a PS4?
The short answer is that the Beats Solo3 headphones are not supported on PlayStation 4.
PlayStation has a list of certified PS4 headsets that will operate flawlessly, and there are also some licensed third-party manufacturers available.
Beats, on the other hand, are not one of them. You can, however, use the Bluetooth USB adaptor method that we described in Option 2 above.
What headphones connect to PS4?
The official list of PS4 approved devices may be found on the PS4 support website, or you can check your Bluetooth device packaging to see if your device is supported.
Is it necessary for me to get specific gaming headphones for my PS4?
A good headset should let you alter the sound settings and be pleasant to wear for long periods. If you want to talk with your friends while listening to surround sound, you’ll need to invest in a good gaming headset.
That said, it is not absolutely necessary to get a gaming headset, but we will always advise you to get one.
Is the PS4 equipped with Bluetooth?
Although the Sony PS4 has Bluetooth capabilities, it does not support all Bluetooth devices. If you play online games, using a headset with an integrated microphone can improve your entire gaming experience. Use a Bluetooth dongle to connect to other devices with a third-party Bluetooth adaptor.
Can You Connect Bluetooth Headphones To PS4?ut With Caveats
So now you know many ways to connect your Bluetooth headset to PS4. In a nutshell, you have four options: getting compatible headsets or using the app, the controller, and Bluetooth dongles.
We hope we have been able to help you out! Do send us your suggestions, and if you try one of our methods, please let us know how it worked out for you!